Sunday 21 August 2011

ELF Haul!!

So I have my first follower! :) Happy days!!

Gonna review my ELF haul! Ordered on Thursday night and it arrived Saturday morning! Super impressed!


I ordered the 10 Piece Beauty School Brush Kit, 2 Luscious Liquid Lipsticks in Cherry Tart and Strawberry, Cream Eyeliner in Gunmetal, High Definition Powder,Studio Matte Lip Colour in Natural, Translucent Matte Powder, Studio Powder Brush, Studio Mist and Set.

Luscious Liquid Lipsticks
I was a bit disappointed to be honest. As they are Liquid Lipstick and not a gloss, I expected them to be a bit more pigmented, but they basically have the consistancy of a gloss.
Swatches above with flash, Cherry Tart on top, Strawberry on the bottom. The Strawberry has a nice shimmer, but is nothing like the pale candy pink swatch shown on the site.

Overall they are decent enough for everyday wear, nice light sheer coverage but if you want high impact, layer over a lipstick or stain to give some more POW!

High Defintion Powder

This is becoming a bit of a cult product for ELF and I can see why. The packaging is gorgeous, looks very high end on my dressing table and using the puff makes me feel a bit old school, which I love!!
I used this as a primer to set my moisturiser before applying my mineral powder foundation and also to set my full face makeup before a night out. It feels really soft on and has no powdery finish as I was worried it would have. A new staple methinks!

Translucent Matte Powder
I didn't swatch this, but its just a nice natural colour. I think if you have darker skin tones however maybe shop around for someting more suitable as I think this could look chalky on darker tones. For me, fair with pink undertones and freckles, its a perfect colour. Sets makeup well, did need a few top ups throughout a big night out but with the sleek packaging and big mirror I was happy to whip it out!

10 Piece Brush Set
I generally love the brushes from from ELF and I felt this was good value for money at £12. It includes an angled blush/bronzer brush, a brow and lash comb, a mascara wand, a concealer brush, an eyeshadow brush,a foundation brush, an all over face brush, a smudger, a lip definition brush and a flat eyeliner brush.
Overall the general quality is good, I felt the foundation and concealer brushes were a bit on the small side. The concealer brush is good for blemishes but no good for concealing redness around the nose or the under eye area. The foundation brush is good for these areas though.
The blush brush was nice and soft but I felt it could have used more densely packed bristles.
Middle of the road were the brow brush, mascara wand, lip brush and the smudger. Basically do what they're meant to, although I never understand why mascara wands are included. This is the first time I've ever used one from a set and it was only because I use it to detangle my lash extensions I have currently. (I plan to write about there seperately)
Eyeshadow brush is lovely. Soft, full bristles. Same with the all over face brush, good for bronzer and face powders. The eyeliner brush is good, a nice size, but I think I'll stick with my angled Ruby and Millie one, but thats personal preferrance.

Studio Powder Brush
I LOVE this!! This is a repurchase for me. Its a fantastic all rounder and if you're only going to buy one brush, this should be it! I replaced my Kabuki brush with this and use them for both mineral foundation and bronzer. Its also great for contouring if you use the edge of the brush under the cheekbone or where ever you feel you need more definition. For £3.50 they are truly fab, they wash really well and keep their shape. (I use baby shampoo to clean my brushes.)

I'm going to write seperately about the Matte lip colour, I really love this look just now and have a few products which I'm going to compare and contrast.

Studio Makeup Set and Mist

This is the first time I've ever used a product like this. I tend to just top up my makeup thoughout the day. I have friends who use hairspray to hold their makeup, especially on nights out. This fills me with horror!! These kind of chemicals CANNOT be good for your face! Anyhoo. I used this before a night out. To be honest it wasn't really very effective, I wil try it again on a day time look but it really couldn't stand the pace on a big night out!

Cream Eyeliner: Gunmetal

I love this product! It's a soft creamy formula. A dinky little pot, with free brush. The brush, while good value for money and good on the go, is a bit fiddly. I used my Ruby and Millie angled liner brush (it's my fave!) and it was a really nice finish.
Amazing staying power, lasted a whole night out with no top ups, even in the inner corner! I was super impressed!!

ELF did restock the day after I ordered so no doubt I'll be placing another order soon!!

Over and out peeps!

Jolly
x

No comments:

Post a Comment